Are we there yet?

Taipei and Halle; Taiwan and Germany - Iris and Tuesday in transition (click on the pics to enlarge them)

Thursday, August 25, 2005

translation

I just finished my first freelance translation job :-)) Made me feel like back at uni, with a bunch of pages with almost illegible Chinese characters and a stack of dictionaries (and a couple of great online ressources - how the heck did people do translations BEFORE the internet???), talking to myself, analyzing nested Chinese sentences, drawing characters in the air to count the strokes and getting to the point where I had to look up a character again that I could swear I'd only looked up 5 minutes before.

The topic wasn't that interesting - safety requirements for die casting machines. And it took me AGES. But it was fun to realize that I still do know Chinese, that Simplified is still easier to read after three years in Taiwan and that obviously, I DID learn something at university. And it kept me busy. And it pays well :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home