Are we there yet?

Taipei and Halle; Taiwan and Germany - Iris and Tuesday in transition (click on the pics to enlarge them)

Monday, August 22, 2005

i want to go home and watch movies :-(

I took H to watch a Korean movie, Bin Jip, at one of our arthouse theaters on Sunday night. The theater is cool, up on a hill, just behind the zoo, with a giant old-style cafe out front and a big theater with seats that even H considered not too uncomfortable. They have an interesting program, similar to SPOT and are pretty cheap. Judging my after-movie daze (quote H: "Huh? Why would you need more time than usual to manage the stairs?"), the movie was terrific, very dream-like, and quite a few cats. (H didn't particularly like it. Mind you, the last movie he watched in a theater and liked was 2001: A space odyssey that he watched in the early 70s).

But - everything there is dubbed :-((( It didn't really ruin the Korean movie because there hardly was any dialogue anyway. But we watched trailers for two movies that I wanted to see when they start in the theaters, Don't come knocking and A Love Song for Bobby Long. And seeing the dubbed trailers made me decide against it :-( It would basically ruin the experience. H got a bit mad at my arrogance to expect theaters here to cater to my exclusive taste by showing sub-titled original versions while the average German gets prickly heat even thinking of reading subtitles. But I love watching movies in theaters. My extensive DVD collection is only a poor alternative to the big screen :-((

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home